First published December 13, 2009
It’s just not Chanukah without Potato Latkes! This recipe is an old family favorite — served with sour cream or applesauce — they’re always a hit!
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- 2 TBL plain bread crumbs or Matzo meal
- Salt and Freshly ground pepper
- 2 TBL or more of safflower or corn oil
1. Scrub and peel potatoes. Grate in food processor or by hand, along with onion. Drain well in a colander or strainer. Add eggs and bread crumbs and sprinkle well with salt and pepper.
2. Add oil to skillet; when oil is hot, forming pancakes by spooning the mixture into the hot oil and adding more as necessary.
3. Fry until golden brown on both sides (turning once). They should have crisp edges. Remove from pan and place on a plate with paper towels to drain excess oil. Serve hot with sour cream or applesauce.