From Our Recipe Archive: First published April 14, 2017
From my new book “Entertaining in the Country: Love Where You Eat”. This recipe, from the wonderful Julia Turshen (“Small Victories”), was JUST FEATURED IN “IN-STYLE” MAGAZINE!! Semifreddo (Italian for “half-cold”) has the texture of frozen mousse and is surprisingly easy to make. A perfect dessert for a Easter dinner!
Time: 15 minutes, plus at least 6 hours (up to 24 hours) in the freezer.
- 1 pint good-quality vanilla ice-cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Let the ice cream soften slightly at room temperature so that it can be spooned.
2. Fold the softened ice cream together with the whipped cream. Pack the ice cream mixture into a small loaf pan line with plastic wrap. Cover in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 6 hours.
3. Stir the strawberries together with the sugar and lemon juice.
4. Remove the ice cream loaf from the freezer. Slip a table knife under the plastic wrap to loosen the ice cream loaf. Discard the plastic wrap. Using a heated knife, slice the loaf into 1-inch servings. Top with the strawberries and serve.