from our Hammertown Recipe Archives
First Published March 2009
This delicious recipe comes via Susan Crossley, partner in Crossley-Redmond Real Estate in Pine Plains (www.crossredrealty.com). Years ago I sampled it at a dinner party and I have yet to forget how delicious it was. It’s a family recipe that has been handed down for years, and we all know how good those “historical” recipes can be.
- 1 stick softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 to 3 apples or other seasonal fruit
- sugar and cinnamon mixture
1. Cream butter and sugar. Add Eggs. Add flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Spread batter in a large buttered pie dish.
3. Top with a single layer of seasonal, sliced fruit (apples, usually 2 or 3,
depending on size / or peaches, etc.)
4. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Dot with butter.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes. Test with toothpick in center.