This recipe is from the best-selling diet book The Whole 30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom which we carry at Hammertown. My daughter, her husband, a couple Hammertown staff members and I have been or are on the diet right now. It’s kind of a Paleo diet that many people have had a lot of success with. Whole30 program aims to reshape “long-standing, unhealthy patterns related to food, eating and your body image.” The program does not allow grains, dairy, legumes or sugar (that means alcohol too) but there are so many delicious things you CAN eat, you don’t feel deprived. As of today, I am on Day 11. The book is very detailed and clear about what you can and cannot eat and happily, has some wonderful recipes like this one. Read more here about What You Need to Know about the Whole 30 Diet…
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 4 tablespoons cooking fat (melted ghee, clarified butter, coconut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil)
- 1 pound chicken legs (bone-in, skin-on)
- ½ pound chicken thighs (boneless)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ onion, minced
- ½ red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, rough chopped
1. IN a large skillet with high edges, heat 2 tablespoons of the cooking fat over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper and place in the pan. Sear the chicken until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
2. WITH the same pan still on medium-high heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of cooking fat, onions, and peppers and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onion becomes translucent. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and stir until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the capers and diced tomatoes.
3. RETURN the chicken to the pan and cover everything with the chicken broth or water. Reduce the heat to medium and bring everything to a simmer. Turn the heat down to low and continue to simmer (not boil) until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160°F, about 30 minutes.
4. GARNISH with the chopped basil and serve.