I often look online for new ways to prepare chicken breasts. When I saw this one on GimmeSomeOven.com, I couldn’t believe my eyes…HUMMUS-CRUSTED CHICKEN?? How could this possibly be good? But I happened to have an extra container of hummus in the fridge and some chicken breasts so I thought I’d give it try. You could have knocked me over with a feather…it was DELICIOUS! Easy-to-find healthy ingredients…short prep time…and it’s baked so there’s no additional fat involved. I brought a sample for Joan the next day and she loved it too and said we should share with our readers. So here it is:
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 25 minutes
Total: 35 minutes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 zucchini, thickly sliced and then halved (see photo)
- 1 yellow squash, chopped (I didn’t have any squash so I substituted cauliflower florets which I microwaved for about 30 seconds before tossing with onions & zucchini)
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup* hummus, homemade or store-bought (I used a Sriracha Hummus)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lemons (I only used one large lemon)
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika or sumac (I used smoked paprika…fabulous flavor)
*You might not need this much hummus depending on the size of the chicken breasts
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare one large baking dish or two smaller baking dishes with cooking spray.
2) Pat the chicken dry. Season the chicken breasts with generous pinches of salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss the zucchini, squash and onion with olive oil until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper.
3) If using one baking dish, place all of the vegetables on the bottom of the dish in an even layer. Lay the four chicken breasts evenly on top, then cover each chicken breast with the hummus so that the entire breast is covered. Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the chicken and vegetables. Then sprinkle the pan with smoked paprika or sumac. Thinly slice the remaining lemon, and place the slices in between the chicken and vegetables if desired.
**If using two pans, use one for the chicken and one for the vegetables.**
4) Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Serve immediately.