Better Homes & Gardens’ Classic Lasagne (from 1960’s)

bhg classic lasagna from justapinch dot come

Photo from justapinch.com

First published April 2015

I was going through some old cookbooks from the 1960s with my friend Vicki the last time I was in Maine.  What a flashback to some really great “Mad Men” era recipes.  This lasagne recipe was one of my favorites from the always-dependable Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook.  In fact, it the first meal I ever made for “company” after I got married.

In searching for a photograph online, I learned I’m not the only one who LOVED this recipe–and still does!  This is a true classic and family favorite.

Here’s the recipe….straight from Vicki’s cookbook…

LASAGNA-RECIPE

22 Comments

• Jeanne says:

Thanks for sharing that recipe! I lost all my cookbooks in Hurricane Frances.

• Auntie M says:

Hi Jeanne – How sad to lose all your cookbooks…can’t imagine how hard that would be! But, happy we were able to help you find an old favorite recipe.

• Ann S says:

Thank you so much for sharing the picture of the actual cookbook page! Although I found several recipes online saying they were the Better Homes and Gardens “classic lasagna recipe”, they were not the recipe I first used in 1970 as a new bride from the cookbook my mom gave me as a shower gift. Seeing the cookbook page with the ‘e’ on the end of the word instead of the ‘a’ I knew this was the one! My son has requested I make it for Christmas Eve and my old cookbook is in storage. Yikes!! But you saved the day.

• Mel M says:

Amazing! This exact page Is missing from my 1973 Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (because I made the lasagna so often). Thank you!

• Edna says:

Aloha! Exactly what I was looking for. Making for our Christmas dinner tomorrow.

• Nate Mishler says:

Thanks so much for sharing! My mom threw all her cookbooks away before she passed away. Never thought I would see this wonderful recipe again!

• Jackie says:

I was so glad to find this recipe. I have no idea what we did with my book. I know the pages were getting torn but I loved this recipe. I looked at other ones online I knew they didn’t sound right. I looked in the new Better Home cookbook which I have and it’s not in there. When I saw the yellow tabs I knew this was my old cookbook that I had gotten for a wedding gift. So glad to find it, thanks.

• ada ardito says:

This is the exact recipe I was looking for, and boy did that cookbook pic bring back memories. thank you!!

• Carol says:

Thank you for this as this is the recipe I always made. Lost the cookbook in a divorce and so wish I had it. It was given to me 51 years ago this month and wish I could find the same book again. The new one just is not the same.

• Christy Gates says:

Thank you for our favorite lasagne recipe. I have made it from memory many times since my younger days after my cook book had gone by the wayside some how. My family loves it and I have shared it for many occasions. The stroganoff recipe from that same book is one I would like to have again also. Thank you.

• Diane says:

Thank you so much! This is the exact recipe from my own cookbook, I’m at my daughter’s home and wasn’t sure of a couple of things, your recipe saved the day – it is the best lasagna I’ve made and I’ve experimented with lots – I always go back to this one. I do add more cheese however, I’m Norwegian!

• Auntie M says:

So glad we helped you save the day. It IS a great recipe, isn’t it? Good for you, adding more cheese (from a fellow Scandinavian 🙂

• Ann Goodman says:

Oh, I’ve missed this recipe so much. This is the first lasagne recipe I made as a newly married person. (We’ve been married 51 years.) I’m about ready to pop it into the oven right now. Hoping that it will be as good as I remember it. I thought it was funny that back in the day, the recipe called for ONE clove of garlic. I made soup this week that used 1/4 cup of garlic–which was the entire head–and I didn’t think it tasted too garlicy! Times have sure changed.

• Jan C. says:

I use the recipe from a 1976 version of the cookbook. It has the following after ‘Add next 5 ingredients’… “and 1 cup water. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes; stir often.” I like a thicker sauce, so I simmer 15 minutes covered, and an additional 10 – 15 minutes uncovered. I too have tried other recipes, but I really don’t know why ???. This is the best I’ve found.

• Rebecca says:

Hi, I’m trying to locate a copy of the Better Homes cookbook that used to be in the family and got lost or given away, and my first step is to try to figure out what year I had. The pages really looked like the photo of the lasagne recipe above — do you have any way to go back to your friend Vicki and ask her what year she has? I’m specifically looking for a cookie recipe that my dad has been craving, hoping to make it for his birthday, so if it’s possible to put me in touch with your friend I’d love to know if the recipe in question (for a frosted mocha cookie) is in her book! THANK YOU!!

• Ann Wilkins says:

Rebecca, what is the name of the cookie recipe? I have another book that I believe is a little older, but the cookie recipe section is in really good shape since I never used it for cookies. Had to get this book for 7th grade Home-ec! I’m 71 now, so hope this helps. Can’t find the pages that have the copyright dates.