First published April 2009
This week’s recipe comes from my friend (and hair stylist extraordinaire), Bonnie Hundt. Her mother, Madonna, has been making this salad back in Wisconsin on their dairy farm for YEARS using cucumbers from their very impressive vegetable garden. It’s a family favorite and a great summer recipe. Easy to make and a good reason to grow your own cucumbers!
- 6 medium sized (6-8 inch) cucumbers, any variety, peeled
- 1 small white onion
- 1/2 cup half & half or heavy cream
- 1 TBL mayonnaise (you can also use plain yogurt*)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar (or rice vinegar*)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 TBL salt
- 1 TBL chopped dill*
(*Bonnie’s adjustments to Mom’s recipe)
1. Thinly slice (1/8 inch or less) peeled cucumbers & onion using a mandolin (or knife).
2. In a large bowl alternately layer cucumbers, onions & salt and let sit at room temperature for at least one hour. Rinse well with water to remove salt and drain thoroughly in a colander then return to the large bowl.
3. In another bowl, whisk together vinegar, mayo, sugar and cream until well-blended and creamy smooth. Add to the cucumbers and onions and mix well adding chopped dill towards the end.
4. Put mixture in the fridge and chill thoroughly.