This is one of my favorite recipes, originating from The Farmer’s Wife. They catered my daughter’s wedding almost 12 years ago, and on a hot summer day, you couldn’t ask for anything more refreshing. Beautiful served in a white bowl.
- 10 large beets
- 2 large onions
- 3 carrots
- 1 TBL butter
- 2 tsp sugar
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 TBL fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sour cream (or to taste)
- creme fraiche
- chives, for garnish
1. Wash but don’t peel beets and bake them wrapped tightly in aluminum foil at 400 degrees for one hour or until fork-tender. Cool, peel and grate.
2. While the beets are baking, peel and mince the onions and peel and finely grate the carrots. Saute the onions and carrots in butter for 10 minutes. Add the beets, sugar, and broth. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, cool slightly and puree in a food processor, Vita mix or blender, gradually adding dollops of sour cream until the taste, color and consistency please you.
4. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Chill. Serve with a swirl of creme fraiche and a sprinkling of chives.