This recipe comes from my friend and hair stylist extraordinaire, Bonnie Hundt. It’s based on a recipe of Mario Batali’s, which instructs the reader to make their own sausage…she didn’t. Rather she went for something a little more healthy and a lot easier. It’s absolutely delicious! Enjoy.
Sausage and Peppers (adapted from Mario Batali’s Molto Italiano Cookbook Recipe)
- 1 lb package of organic sweet Italian chicken or turkey sausage
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 2 small onions (red, sweet or yellow), thinly sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (cored, seeded, and cut into ½ inch wide strips
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (cored, seeded, and cut into ½ inch wide strips
- ½ bulb fennel (anise) – thinly sliced
- 1-2 tsps. Red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 tsps dried oregano
- 2 TBL tomato paste
- ½ cup dry red wine
- Rice (brown or white) or Polenta
1. In a 12 inch sauté pan (I used our ScanPan), heat the olive oil over medium heat until smoking. Add the onion, bell peppers, fennel, red pepper flakes and oregano. Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 8-10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the paste turns a darker color (about 10 minutes or less). Add the red wine and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
2. In another skillet brown the sausages over medium heat, turning often, until golden brown, 7-9 minutes. Add the browned the sausages to the pepper mixture and prick the skins of the sausage a few times and bring everything to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, adding water a little at a time to keep the consistency near that of a ragu.
3. Serve over rice or polenta. You can serve sausages whole or cut into large pieces.
Add a green salad and a glass of your favorite red wine and you’ve got a delicious and healthy meal. And it’s pretty enough for company!