I had dinner with my son Gregg the other night. It was a busy day for me, so he kindly offered to make dinner. I suggested we try making dinner from this new organic Indian Spice Blends that just came to the store. Each spice pack comes with a recipe, and I had heard that they are really good.
So, I went to Peck’s and got the ingredients for our dish, “Vegetable Gold”….and I let Gregg do the rest. The dish was absolutely amazing…I mean as good, if not better, than any Indian restaurant I have been to in New York. The recipe was simple (spice blend comes with recipe on it…plus there is a website where you can go to read about variations), preparation time was 10 minutes, and cooking time 30 to 40 minutes. It serves 6 people.
Here’s the recipe. You’ll need to come to Hammertown to get the Vegetable Gold Indian Spice Blend. Healthy, economical, fresh and delicious!
Vegetable Gold Recipe
- Packet of Vegetable Gold Spice Blend
- 1 Head of Cauliflower (or a 12 oz. bag of cauliflower florets)
- 1 Pound (4 medium size) Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 4 Tablespoons of vegetable oil (or ghee)
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, Washed & chopped (about 1/2 a bunch)
1. Trim the core out of the cauliflower and separate into small flowerets. Wash, then cut 1 pound of potatoes into 2” cubes.
2. Heat 4 Tablespoons of vegetable oil (or ghee) in a large sauté pan over medium heat. When the oil (or ghee) is hot, but not smoking, add the cauliflower, potatoes, and the spice blend. Stir gently to distribute the spice blend to all of the vegetables.
3. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and cook for 20—25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove the lid and stir. Turn the heat to medium high. Continue cooking, uncovered, for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and crispy on the outside.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro.