This past Sunday, Bonnie Hundt (my “hairapy” source) and I hosted a fundraiser brunch for State Senate Candidate, Didi Barrett, in the Gatehouse. Didi also happens to be a loyal Hammertown customer so I was happy to offer our Gatehouse space for the event.
Bonnie decided to make the Breakfast Casserole recipe that she got right here on our website for the event and everyone just loved. She especially appreciated the fact that you can put this casserole together the night before and then bake it in the morning. So, here it is again…it’s a Hammertown Classic!
- 8 slices white bread, cubed (you can use whole grain bread)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated (other cheeses work too)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard or prepared mustard
Optional: Saute onions, mushrooms and some red pepper and add to strata or even some broccoli and squash and tomatoes…be creative!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Start with a square or oval gratin baking dish. I use a Le Creuset oval dish. If you double the recipe, use a large rectangular pan.
1. Grease or spray pan with Pam
2. Put in bread and cheese in layers (optional layer also), ending with cheese. Put other ingredients in a blender or food processor and combine. Pour the mixture over the bread and cheese. Cover the dish and store in refrigerator overnight.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour.
Serves 6 to 8 people