This recipe from legendary California chef, Alice Waters, was inspired by the fresh ingredients she found at the Mercado Central in my new favorite beach vacation spot: Zihua (nickname for Zihuatanejo), Mexico. (click here to read more about Zihua) You should be able to find the ingredients here at home.
- 8 soft corn tortillas
- 2 medium-size Yellow Finn or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup fresh pork chorizo
- 12 tablespoons olive or peanut oil
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema, crème fraîche, or sour cream (optional)
1. Blanch the potato cubes in lightly salted water until they are cooked through but still firm. Set them aside to cool.
2. Heat the olive oil in a medium-size sauté pan, add the potatoes, and brown lightly.
3. If the chorizo is in a casing, squeeze the sausage meat out of the casing and into the hot pan with the potatoes.
4. Sauté the mixture until it is thoroughly hot and slightly caramelized.
5. Spoon 1/4 cup into a warm tortilla and add a dollop of cream and/or cilantro, if desired.