A White House Garden Cookbook: Healthy Ideas from the First Family by Clara Silverstein, just arrived at Hammertown and is it ever filled with some fantastic recipes. I usually try recipes before I suggest them to you, but this one sounded so good and “no fail” I’m breaking my own rule and sharing here. This cookbook, by the way, would make a great gift for Mom! Click here to read more about it.
WHITE HOUSE NO-CREAM CREAMED SPINACH
One of Michelle Obama’s favorite healthy spinach recipes is this creamy-style spinach made without cream by White House Executive Chef Cristeta Comerford. This is a great example of a delicious dish that is simple and made with totally fresh ingredients.
- 2 pounds baby spinach
- 4 shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 TBL olive oil
- Salt and Freshly ground pepper
1. Wash and clean the spinach. Peel and mince the shallots. Mince the garlic. Place a large bowl of water near the sink, and put a few ice cubes in it. Place a colander in the sink.
2. Fill a medium-sized pot with water. Sprinkle in salt. Bring water to a boil. Carefully add 1/2 pound of the spinach (about 1/4 of the leaves) to the water and let it boil for just 30 seconds to 1 minute. The leaves will turn bright green.
3. Carefully pour the spinach and water into the colander to drain the spinach. Then immediately “shock” the spinach by putting it right into the ice water. Let the spinach sit in the water for a minute or so, then drain it again in the colander. Squeeze the spinach with your hands to remove excess water.
4. Place the spinach in a blender and puree. Set aside.
5. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook until the shallots no longer look white.
6. Add the rest of the spinach leaves. Toss with a spoon and saute until the leaves are wilted. Add the pureed spinach and stir. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.