This is a recipe between good friends. It dates back over 30 years…that’s how long my friend Vicki and I have been making it. It’s from an old cookbook on Vicki’s shelf, but we’ve made changes and adaptations over the years. I’ve added roasted chestnuts, more onions, pine nuts…just let your imagination go wild. (I’ve even eliminated the sausage and used cooked and crumbled veggie burgers to please the vegetarians in my family.) I also eliminate the green pepper.
Give it a try!
- 4 cups cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 pound sausage meat, cooked and crumbled, with drippings
- 9 cups crumbled corn bread (I use Pepperidge Farm Corn Bread Stuffing)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1 small unpeeled red apple, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup applesauce
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a saucepan, combine the cranberries, water and sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer ten minutes, or until berries are tender. Drain off juice.
3. Combine drained berries with the remaining ingredients. Turn into a greased casserole and bake 1 hour (or use to stuff a 14 pound turkey…that’s what I do)