One of the best things about living in Ancramdale is our Postmaster Debbie Taft. She’s always helpful…always cheerful…knows her job inside out and is, in general, someone my mother would have called “a good egg”!
Debbie has also been very active in Ancramdale’s “Neighbors Helping Neighbors” community organization. This recipe is from Debbie and appears in a new cookbook that Neighbors Helping Neighbors has put together: “Kitchen to Kitchen: Sharing Home Cooking”. The proceeds of sales of the cookbook go to NHN. (We’re selling it at Hammertown Barn!)
- 8 cups sliced zucchini (the smaller the zucchini the better)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Bread crumbs
1. Bring zucchini in enough water to cover to a boil. Boil until just tender–not too long! Drain WELL.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine egg, mayo, Parmesan cheese, onion, green pepper, and salt & pepper. Mix well. Add drained zucchini and mix.
3. Butter a large pie plate and pour zucchini mix into pie plate. Top with dots of butter and spread bread crumbs over the top.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour until bubbly.
Note: “I have played with this recipe using broccoli instead of zucchini, which is also really good. You can add a little chopped ham in the recipe or try a little roasted red pepper! Sometimes instead of all of the mayo, I substitute 1/2 cup cottage cheese and 1/2 cup mayo.” — Debbie Taft