Nothing says summer elegance more than these delectable chocolate-dipped fresh strawberries. Savor them!
Serves 10 or more
- 3 pint boxes of strawberries
- 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (I use Nestle semi-sweet chocolate morsels)
1. No need to hull strawberries; just wash and drain well. Refrigerate a few hours before dipping.
2. Line cookie sheet with waxed paper or aluminum foil.
3. Break chocolate into small pieces and melt in top of double boiler over hot, not boiling, water on moderate heat. When melted, remove from heat and cool slightly. If the chocolate is too thick, add a little Crisco (a scant TBL for each 4 oz. of chocolate).
4. Using a toothpick or dipping fork, dip berries, one at a time, into chocolate mixture. Hold berry by the stem and lift berry out quickly, turning it round and round in the air a moment, tip upward, to dry. Then invert berry and stand on its side on waxed paper.
5. Let chocolate set on strawberries either at room temperature or in the refrigerator. As soon as chocolate is firm, release berry from the waxed paper or foil and place on serving tray. Do not refrigerate, but store at cool room temperature and serve within 24 hours.
NOTE: Also good for dipping: grapes, orange sections, dried apricots, banana slices